Thursday, July 11, 2013

learn: always

"Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something"
- Thomas Edison
This past Monday I was lucky enough to attend a free lecture by Ken Bova at the Jewelry Toolery in Santa Cruz. Ken is teaching a workshop on liquid enameling there - getting color from white enamel using a torch. Very exciting stuff. I really connected with his work, and especially his use of materials he's been collecting since he was a child. It seems his work began when he was a boy. He studied philosophy and theology as his second major, which, hello!, sounds like heaven to me. Ah, to know one's self so well. It has taken me years and distance from myself, so to speak, to understand and know myself so well. So glad to get where I am, however I got here. On top of the very interesting creative journey Ken has been on and his wonderful work he is a truly lovely person to speak with.

Max asked me why I'm always going to lectures. The answer I gave him was that I like them and I like to learn. But it's so much more than that. It's being a part of a vibrant community of artists and philosophers. It's about finding a current of creative energy and hopping into it, flowing with it. It's about the sparks that go off in your mind while you're listening and looking. And the smiles and warm hugs you get and give when you go. About meeting new people and finding your way and making your place. All of these things we do throughout our lives, whether we realize it or not. It's nice to be captain of that ship, though. Knowing where you want to go, who you are and how to create yourself or build yourself up.

I hope your journey takes you some place wonderful today.


No comments:

Post a Comment