Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Field Trip

I see Buddha everywhere. Gumps had a diverse selection. This Buddha is one of Coleman's faves.
I am so fortunate to be part of a wonderful community of metals artists, all at varying stages of our journey in metal craft. This Saturday I traveled with this group to San Francisco and Palo Alto to visit some galleries and shops who sell beautiful works by artist from around the country and world. Our first stop was Gumps in San Francisco. It's a department-type of store that carries one of a kind art alongside mass produced works. All very upscale, a bit overwhelming from a visual perspective - just soooo much to look at. As a group of metal artists, the jewelry department was pretty impressive. Yet, not really my cup of tea for a retail experience. Gumps also had some really amazing real bugs on display - groupings of the most remarkable looking insects (right image). Not sure where these bugs come from or how they are harvested. They are beautiful, though, and I suspended my usual reaction to just enjoy their colors and shapes.

I walked about with my friend Linda, and our second stop was Xanadu Gallery on Maiden Lane. This gallery is located in an historic Frank Loyd Wright building. From the location to the architecture we were embraced by this experience. This is a lane that is foot traffic only. Just beyond the doors of this gallery is a lovely Italian cafe which filled the air with a remarkably inviting aroma. I couldn't even tell you exactly what the smell was, just that it made me want to remain on that street. The gallery attendants were very friendly and warm. The work in this gallery ranged from ancient to contemporary and it was all quite something to look take in.

Next stop was Revere Academy on Market Street. I have been curious about this school for a while. So glad to have had to chance to meet the owner/jeweler himself, Alan Revere, some of his students and experience the space. They offer diplomas and focus on learning the technical skills through very specific projects. I find it compelling and repelling at once. Skills through a very specific set assignments would be liberating in one dimension. Not to worry about how artful or unique a piece is, just that the seams and joints are precise. However, one could conceivably accomplish similar skills by just making your own work, and a lot of it. It's all about practice, right? I think if I were to go back to the beginning, when I was fresh out of high school this would have been the perfect place for me to start. But I didn't know then how drawn I was to metal work. Ah, well, hind sight and all that...


The we hopped back onto the bus and drove to The Velvet DaVinci where we took in a lot of contemporary artists, mostly jewelers. Though, I was mostly moved by the small sculptures around the gallery. This is a wonderful gallery to visit.


When our time there was up we took the bus ride to Palo Alto to visit one of our own local artist's, Paul Cheney's installation piece at the Keen store on University Ave and then to De Novo Gallery. At this point my camera died and I don't have any images of this leg of the trip. The Keen store is worth a visit if you're in Palo Alto. Most of their display and furniture are made from post consumer waste - from the hoods of old VW bugs to 55 gallon metal drums - and they have some very clever display mechanisms for their shoes.

It was a great day! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend too.

No comments:

Post a Comment