Thursday, March 22, 2012

(Another) Auction Project: PMC Jewelry

These are the Sculpy stamps the kids made in class, I mounted them on wood dowel pieces.
The foreground pieces are dried copper clay with the kid's stamps, these haven't been fired or "worked", the background three have been fired and cleaned. These were rejects or samples for experimenting. I would like to enamel some of these.
These are the pieces after they have been fired, cleaned and had a patina applied to them.
This is the bracelet. There was a surprising amount of work put into this, mostly because I changed my plan about how to put it together. Originally I was going to make it more like a charm bracelet but didn't like commercial chains available.
This is the neck piece. This took me a while to figure out, but I was happy to use a piece of hand-woven chain I had made recently. I really love this necklace, the spontaneity of the kid's art alongside the more planned execution of the piece.



Mandalas. That's where it's at. Mandalas were where our minds were focused when we began this project. Each child had three discs of Sculpy to press objects into to make a mandala pattern. We used pens and pencils and other small, every day objects that have details you may usually miss. Take a look at the pens in your pen cup, check out the diverse detailing on the ends of those pens and pencils. We used those patterns to create more patterns. This part was my favorite and the only portion of this project the kids were involved in. The reason I enjoyed this part was the amazing creativity the kids displayed. They were all little master pieces in their own right. I won't go into the details of how I made this, it's not complicated but not all that interesting either. If you'd like to know more then do email me, I'm happy to tell you about it.

I'll update this when it's been auctioned off to let you know how much it went for!

2 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I found your beautiful bracelet while looking for auction ideas for my daughter's class on Pinterest. I really wanted to find something creative and unique for her class to work on and I love your bracelet and necklace!

    I have no experience making jewelry at all. I also probably don't have access to a kiln. Is this something I could complete?

    Thank you in advance!

    Amy
    koenigamy@att.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy,

      Hi Amy,

      Thanks for your comment. Sorry I didn't respond right away, I haven't checked comments because I'm in the middle of this years auction project! :) The necklace and bracelet were one of my favorite auction projects. We used the stamps and mad more charms for mother's day later that year and the kids beaded the chain and the charm was the pendant - really nice. Then at the end of the year I made a necklace and bracelet for the two teachers with the stamps and copper clay. It had a lot of legs!

      I don't think you could complete this without access to a kiln - not with metal clay anyhow. You could do something similar in clay, though you'd still need a kiln, it's easier to find a studio that will fire ceramics. If you live near Santa Cruz, CA I'd be happy to fire the work for you. And coach you through the process. You can email me directly at tesemascari@gmail.com if you've got more questions.

      Delete