Monday, May 25, 2009

Domesticity




It just wouldn't be a holiday without some sort of Nana-baked goods. In the absence of Nana, I employed a Nana Recipe. Don't Mess With My Apple Pie apple pie. Which also means we get little cinnamon sugar roll-ups. It's just the boys and I, but the pie is 1/2 gone and the roll-ups are a distant memory. I've finally mastered the pie crust, I don't know why it took me so darn long. I guess I had a fear of pie making. I'm over it now.


Every day I find myself facing a mess. I talk a lot about this, I know. But, really this is a big struggle for me. For everyone, really. Not that they know they're struggling. I found myself obsessing about this while driving from one place to another yesterday. Then I realized that I spend a lot of time thinking about it. Anyhow, above is a before and after shot of the living room. I took a before shot of the dining room too, but never got to make it look like an after shot. Maybe today.

We're looking forward to getting this little shack under construction. It will make it look prettier, but more importantly I'm hoping it will get us more organized. We'll have new places to put things, well thought-out places. I'll have a studio at some point in the not too distant future. This will clear out a great deal of debris from the house. I've got little projects everywhere. And I'm looking forward to getting the big TV out of the main living space. It will go into the music studio for our Friday night movies. It will make it seem that much more exciting. Don't you think?

Remember the front yard design? Well, we just got a quote for the installation of this lovely little yard. Anyone want to take a wild guess at how much we were quoted? Remember, it's just the little front yard we're talking about. Well, it was a quote without the carpentry for the fence and gate. And it was about three times what I had budgeted in my mind. I'm thinking about finding a way to do it myself. This may seem crazy to Chris and others out there. But 30k for less than 1k sf of front yard is just a bit much. I think I can.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm that pie looks good and those cinnamon buns too. I'm also timid about piecrust. I've avoided it altogether. Of course, now that I'm watching what I eat, it'll have to wait a little longer. What's the start date for the renovation? Are you still planning to live in tents. Sounds like great fun. When you want to run away from too much to do, come on up! We miss you tremendously. Mmm

    ReplyDelete