Saturday, August 27, 2011

It's A Dangerous Thing...

...To have an espresso maker in my kitchen. We've had this baby for ages, though it usually lives in Chris' office - close but not too close to my daily activity. I can't recall why or how it ended up in the main house, but there it sits, calling my name. All day long. I had three lattés and an americano Thursday. That's eight shots of espresso, people. And milk is not something I should be adding to my diet. It makes me puffy. Drinking coffee all day long also pleasantly reminds me of my dad. When he and I worked together there was always a hot pot of coffee at the ready. And while those times were often challenging for both of us, they are also comforting memories of just me and Papa. Yes, coffee is the one ritual that has been consistent in my life since going off to college.  Not that I'm counting, but that's approximately 9,125 mornings of a pleasant ritual for me. How does one undo that tangled web?

Ah, but there are other rituals I would like to insert into my mornings. Yoga, meditation, writing. The difficulty with each of those is they require a great deal more effort than drinking a hot cup of deliciousness. And in the case of writing, in my opinion a hot cup of coffee is needed in order to compose myself and my thoughts.

Well, I'm off now to finish my cup of coffee and take a peek inside my freshly painted studio! Thanks to my sweet friends for helping me paint last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment