Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Dead Fish, Mean Mom


Spot died. She wasn't feeling well for a couple of days and today, while I was at the pet store looking for fish medicine for an unknown fish illness she kicked it. May I just say how guilty I feel? These little things live in a little box on my kitchen counter. I already feel bad enough about that. But, add to that I somehow managed to kill one of them. It is possible that more will die. They look fine now, but who knows what happened to Spot? She may have already contaminated the other four and by the end of the week I may have an empty box on my kitchen counter.

I was in a Mode, treating the water in the fish tank, cleaning the filter, the rocks, the Fish World. Spot was floating around and my kids were outside. I buried Spot "at sea" (read: flush). That was unthinking of me. Spot should have been buried in our yard with our other little dead creatures. So I'm feeling guilty that I let Spot die and also that I didn't give my children a chance to say a proper "goodbye" to their favorite fish.

1 comment:

  1. Forgive yourself mama. Having fish means that you will surely have another chance to bury one properly.

    ReplyDelete