Monday, April 13, 2015

listen: work, fitness and nutrition

I recently went on a podcast-listening binge. I love listening to podcasts, especially when I have to do mind-numbing housework, or art projects that need completion even when I would rather run away from them forever.

I discovered one podcast by listening to another. I'm not entirely sure how I discovered Pat Flynn of Smart Passive Income, but I adore him. He embodies optimism and is a perfect example of Carol Dweck's Growth Mindset. However I found Pat Flynn, I'm grateful I did. Whenever I need a little pick me up, a reminder that my career is not over yet, I go listen to his podcast. One after another. He's cheerful, polite, has abundant energy, is creative and has an amazing work ethic and he adores his wife and children. Plus, he's got some interesting and useful stuff to communicate.

I was tooling around town the other week, listening, shopping at the hardware store when Pat mentioned The Shawn Stevenson Model Health Show. Specifically how much useful information he was able to get from the podcast that he could put to use right away. My curiosity was peaked. So when I got home, I went straight over to the iPhone app for podcasts and downloaded a handful of The Model Health Show podcasts for my chores. Here's the one that helped me pull together the boys room: How to Create a Sleep Sanctuary. Shawn, the Model Health guy is also exuberantly happy and positive and a font of information. His podcasts include him pumping up his sponsor's product at the beginning of the show, but once you're past that you get to some good information.

The positive energy is a nice change from the crazy information pouring out of the news industry right now. It's good to be reminded of optimism, generosity, equanimity, humanity and humor. It is a good choice to surround yourself with positive words when you want to embody those things too.

Here are some of my favorite sources of words and out-loud ideas these days:

TED talks, ideas worth spreading
This American Life
Smart Passive Income
The Model Health Show

What are you listening to these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment