Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Walk in the Woods Wednesday - Garden of Eden

Walking down to the river, Aaron hams it up.

For our first Walk in the Woods Wednesday we went to Henry Cowell State Park in search of The Garden of Eden. There are sort of vague instructions on the web and I got some similarly vague directions from friends. When one gets there, there are no signs in the woods that say "Garden of Eden this way!" But I think we may have found it. By the time we finally left the house it was an hour and fifteen minutes after I intended. Then I went too far on Route 9 (add 25 minutes) - which turned out okay because we ended up at Rainbows End Cafe in Boulder Creek and got ice cream for all! While there, the boys played the piano while they waited for their treats. What a cool town Boulder Creek is. Sort of an old western look to it. We then hopped in the car and drove directly to what I think is the place and hiked down to the San Lorenzo River.

Sean's wasp sting. It was miraculously healed in the river.

The boys started their hike by going off trail right at the head of the trail (I guess I should have waited for the speech about not going off trail when we get there for when we got there.) and Sean got stung by a wasp. Very Painful looking. Then, we gathered together and began walking - when we heard Coleman shouted out. Wasp in his armpit. Everyone took their shirts off to shake them out and then we walked on. It was a short but steep hike down to the water: Jackpot! We have finally found a fresh water swimming hole. Here, practically in our backyard all along.




Coleman showing off his 6-pack.

Peaceful brotherly moment. Lovely.



Honestly, I would have felt better with one more adult with me, that water was moving pretty fast, and there were very deep places, too.

This was a super fun hike and swim. I hope we get to do it repeatedly over the summer and fall. We all had fun. Next time I want some more mamas with me and more kids and definitely more food. Ah, the memories we're making. Who is going to come with us next time?!

No comments:

Post a Comment