Saturday, June 25, 2011

Field Trip Friday! Monterey Bay Aquarium



Wow, what a week! I'm simply whipped out. We did so many things, hiking, biking, swimming, travel, karate, planning, a bit of work for me, bread baking, catapult building. Phew. We finished it off with a trip to our favorite aquarium in Monterey. There is something magical about the kelp forest there, it is simply mesmerizing. Our pal Aaron knew just where he wanted to go and lead us from exhibit to exhibit. Everyone stuck together and looked out for one another, which is so lovely to watch.



We also walked around the town a bit, taking in the scenes. We even walked into a fine art gallery - I held my breath, except when I reminded everyone not to touch anything. They did a great job in there. We observed a street artist using spray paint on poster board, with some very interesting results. Coleman and Max purchased jointly their first piece of art for $10.



This week I have tried to dedicated myself to being as present as possible with my boys. I'm trying not to think about all the things I left undone at home. Like the enormous pile of laundry on my bed. The mess from breakfast - yesterday's breakfast. Whatever pulls me away from NOW I am trying to shove to the side of my brain that doesn't get used much :). By being present I've noticed how the world seems to them all shinny and new and fascinating and wonderful. They can find such joy in a feather. A spray paint artist. A dilapidated cement structure. One another. And I find so much joy in them when I am fully and completely with them. It is oddly calming to let go all that other s*it and be fully ensconced in the chaos of watching my boys being six and nine and discovering the world. What a great job I have, to spend time with them and discover the world anew, through their eyes.

Nestled into a rocky beach the boys discovered a ruin, likely a sardine factory building or some structure related to the fishing industry, which flourished in the early half of the 20th century in Monterey. Much better than a jungle gym at any playground, they spent some quality time on it practicing their daring and balance. Looking at the photographs, I suspect some of you will wonder why on earth I'd let them climb those things, it looks dangerous. It was fun for them and fun to watch. I somehow watched all four of them at the same time - they mostly stuck together, but trust me, I was planning at any given moment how I would get to them if they fell. They always amaze me with their acrobatic feats and fearlessness. I'm also pleased when I see one of them decide they don't want to do it and back down, go back or do some other thing. It means to me they know their own limits at that time, and that is a good sign to me. Learning your limits while testing them, it's what growing up is all about.











Sadly, I have to report while we were in Monterey, I fell and broke my camera - my very favorite camera ever. My Panasonic Lumix. I fell and smashed the thing on the rocks whilst getting great shots of the boys and their friends. It was a glorified point and shoot, but I love the pictures I was able to take with it. The second week of summer and I'm without a camera! I will put it on my list of things to save up for. In the mean-time, thank goodness for my iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment