Saturday, April 4, 2009

Bagels! And Spring Cleaning

This morning I made bagels. The were pretty good, if I do say so myself. I have this new found deep affection for my Kitchenaid mixer. Nana Rose gave us this mixer over a decade ago and I think this is the most regular use it has seen. I make pizza dough at least once a week, okay maybe more like three times. Scones were happening there a few days in a row. Last night I made a vegan chocolate cake and today bagels. We're eating our way through twenty pounds of organic flour I bought a couple weeks ago at Costco. I've only got about 8 pounds left - by next week it will be gone if I keep up the pace. Anyone have any good recipes they would like to share? Good bread? Good muffins, cookies, pie, anything?


This morning the sun was shining, the sea breeze a blowin'. It was fine day in Soquel. I feel as though, and this may be fantasy, I'm slowly making progress on things. In my own special ADD sort of way. A little yard work here, a little garage cleaning there, a little laundry as I pass by, a few dishes, a meal. You know how it is, right? I'm on my way to put away the yard waste barrel and realize I have yard waste to put into it, so I do. Then I realize, as I step through the back door that my laundry is ready to go into the dryer. Then I realize I'm thirsty which makes me realize I need to wash a few dishes, so I do. That makes me realize I haven't fed the kids, so I chase them around and make food and have them sit down and eat it. Which makes Max realize it's been too long since I've drawn a picture for him. Which makes me realize how many papers are out of place, so I place them in their place. Then I find myself in the bathroom wiping someone's bottom, which makes me realize not only do I have to pee, I really need to clean the bathroom and Max really needs to have a bath. . . That happens to all of you, too, right?

I am contemplating taking pictures of the inside of my house. Shooting the reality of the 900 square foot living situation on a random day. And then working on fixing the situation and taking pictures of the fix. I have avoided inviting people over for dinner or drinks because I find the thought of straightening up overwhelming. I don't mean cleaning and having a pristine home to show off. I mean finding a place to hide my laundry. It is overflowing. You can find laundry in almost every nook and cranny of my house. I feel like throwing it all away. Which is what I've begun to do. I find myself throwing things out when I don't know where they go, or if they don't have a home. I don't feel like sharing my home with this stuff anymore. I'm in the mood to take back my space. Anyone want a couple of kids? Maybe just for a few weeks.


The figs are back! I'm pleased to say. I never knew I liked them, but they are so very yummy. If they traveled well I'd send them to all my east coast friends and family. This fall I sent MB an egg carton filled and they were moldy when they arrived. So - you'll all just have to come here to taste them.



This shot captures the Possum in our little Kitty - Chris has taken to calling her Possum. Our neighbors don't know what to call her anymore. We've got a new name every day. But she comes when you call "KITTY". :)


Ah, Max playing with Kitty, see those teeth? She takes one look at Max and she's ready for a battle. As Nana says, he's a Rufiano.

Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment