Wednesday, March 5, 2014

2014 School Auction Project: Clay hands

It was a one day project - for the kids. It remains to be seen how many days it will add up to for me to finish this piece. Much more challenging than I thought it would be to put the hands together. If I could do it all again I think I would not. The hand making was a blast for the kids and really only took one hour with the children helping me clean up. The prep work for it was also minimal, maybe 1.75 hours. It took me many hours to put this baby together and I'm not sure I could do it any faster the second time around. With 12 hands and a 17 1/2" diameter kiln I had to put the hands pretty close together. I can tell you I will glaze it all one color and not individually underglaze each hand as I originally planned. In the end, though I think this project is far less time consuming than the print project I am doing with the kids in addition to this.

I surely have my 40 hours of volunteer time by now!

No comments:

Post a Comment