Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Bean Hollow


And...We're back! I'm grateful to have a new camera, almost exactly like my dearly departed Panasonic Lumix. Strangely it was less expensive to get the newest version of the old camera, so I went for it. There are two big differences I noticed right away, it is a 16x zoom up from my 12x zoom and the macro setting now allows you to zoom. I'm sure there will be other new/improved features I'll notice as I play with it. What's that? You're wondering why I don't read the manual, aren't you? That's just not how I roll. I got my new digital baby in the mail last week - but I was out of practice and kept forgetting to bring it with me on our outings. Only a few weeks without it and the routine was lost to me. I remembered it today, however. We went to Bean Hollow, up the coast by about 40 minutes. This used to be our favorite beach, before we lived on this side of The Hill. Now we can walk to Capitola in less time than driving to Bean Hollow....But it is still my favorite beach, and it was nice to be reminded. The day was rather gray up there, and a mere 60 degrees. 

While there the boys explored the amazingly abundant tidal pools and I snapped pictures galore, Kitty ran about and we all had a good look at a beached whale - beached last October. I could smell it when we arrived (though I had forgotten, lo those months ago reading about it) and was thankful we spent our playtime upwind of it. There is a substantial amount of it remaining, but it was hardly recognizable. You can check a picture down below of a couple vertebrae, they were as thick as my body. 

After Bean Hollow we made a pit stop at Swanson Berry Farm, Max just had to have a chocolate covered strawberry. Such a cool place.

Enjoy the pictures...

Whale carcass.





 
Narcissus, er Coleman. He's not looking at himself, but the crabs in that little pool.








No comments:

Post a Comment