Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Chicks! Nay, Chickens!

Here's a picture of the first batch of chickens we got four weeks ago Tuesday. They are growing and growing! There are 7 from the original group (we picked up one spare :)). These ladies are almost ready to go outside. They certainly need to spend time in a larger space very soon. They are all so different from one another.

The picture with the blurry baby chicks, below is of a newly opened box of 26 babies shipped through the mail! I picked them up on March 8th. We kept 10 out of these and sold the others to neighbors and random people through craigslist. These are called americaunas - aracaunas - easter eggers. I don't really know what I got, as I think they are not technically americaunas. But I do know they lay blue and green and possibly pink(!) eggs. I like that they aren't afraid to be different than all the other chickens out there.

I guess we're going to be sort of swimming in eggs around here. That is about 1.3 dozen eggs a day on a really good day and maybe 9 on a not so good day. I'm already designing my "Fresh Eggs" sign for my mail box post. So far this sign lives mainly in my brain. And Coleman and Max are adding up their chickens before they hatch (meaning they are counting their $$$). Hm, I smell a college fund coming on...$5/doz we could have 20k in ten years...they have the $ allocated towards legos already. How shall I break it to them?

No comments:

Post a Comment