Thursday, May 2, 2013

2013 School Auction Project: Almost Done!

So long since I posted on this year's auction project! It's been a long, slow process. Largely because I'm slow going and there were some experimental phases to this project that added a bit of time. Also, working just two or three kids at a time in little chunks and not limiting how much time they invested in their piece made for a long beginning to what usually has a heavier back-end time investment. Glaze: so hard to predict if you aren't always working in this medium and have the glazes you love to work with right by your side. This part made me especially nervous that I might ruin the kid's beautiful pieces. They are still beautiful, though and I am really looking forward to seeing the next batch come out of the kiln tomorrow.

There is one major change to the piece, it's no longer going to be a fountain :( . I've never worked with this particular clay before and didn't look up the shrinkage rate. I estimated that it would shrink 13% - well it shrank more and my holes are too small for the water pipe. If I were really dedicated I could file out the holes the extra 1/4 inch I need. But I'm not that dedicated and I don't have that much time, but mostly I'm not that dedicated. It will still be pretty rockin' though.

No comments:

Post a Comment