Wednesday, April 30, 2014

read: The Orphan Master's Son

I hardly know where to begin in describing this book. I can begin by telling you what Chris said when he finished the book: "I think that was the best book I've read in my life". This book is so beautifully written. I could hardly put it down. It kept me up nights.

The Orphan Master's Son, by Adam Johnson takes place in North Korea, roughly present-day. We follow the life of Jun Do, the son of an orphan master. The reader is completely enveloped in the harshness, random violence, fear and helpless nature of the life of the average North Korean citizen. The utter lack of control Jun Do has over the direction of his life is unnerving. I went from disliking his character - he was simply not a likable guy - to finding in him humanity. But it was a slow discovery, both for the character and for the reader.

This book had me at its beck and call night and day until I finished it. It was painful at times what happened to the characters. Beyond any individual character's fate, though, the fate of an entire people are what you are left considering when you finally put the book down. I hope you will pick up a copy and settle in for a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment