Friday, January 9, 2009

Earrings for Tese


January 5th through the 9th I could be found at the Cabrillo College Metals Studio making earrings. And being overloaded with more information than I could put to use in such a short period of time. Cabrillo is a five minute drive - no, a three minute drive and a 7 minute bike ride from our house. I was pressed for time, not to arrive but to pick Max up at school on the way home, so this time I drove. However, I will be biking for the next class!

I learned how to enamel using a torch, learned how to drill a stone or piece of glass. I got to use equipment I haven't used in years and I got to be around a lot of women interested in making things out of metal and other materials just like me. I was in a room with only women, a big change from the testosterone pulsing household of 2730 Rosedale. It was a lovely change of pace. I didn't make a whole lot, but think I accomplished enough with the little amount of time we were given to work. In addition to doing something I love (learning and playing with fire) I also met some people I hope to stay in touch with. And that's worth the price of admission in and of itself!



1. My teacher, Teresa wearing the pair of earrings I made her. The pair are a miss-matched duo of beach stones with silver hearts (because there was a joke about using heart images in artwork).



2. Coke top earrings. This was a joint effort between Chris and I. He enjoys turning bottle caps into little domes and I drilled a hole for the ear wire and put sparkles on the back. They were fun and easy to make and everyone seemed to enjoy them tremendously.



3. Crow earrings. Unfinished, these are precious crows with real feathers pressed into the metal of the wing. I sweat soldered the wings on and they will have dangly legs and feet that move. I enjoyed making these and putting them together.



4. Flower Stone earrings. These are for MB's birthday. A duo of miss-matched but familial beach stones gathered at Bean Hollow State Beach, they have flowers on each earring, different, but similar again.



5. Black stones. My first pair of drilled stones. I loved making drilled stone earrings and I'm going to make more, lots more (I hope) with both sterling wire and 18 kt gold wire (same amount of work but could sell for a lot more $$). Get your orders in early! Next pair I'm going to try to stack my rocks. Fun, Fun, Fun!

1 comment:

  1. There's just no way to stop your creativity. I love them!

    ReplyDelete